Apr

the danger of the internet

Filed under: about me

So this morning at the Festival of Writing in York, I was giving my workshop on “Chick-Lit: It’s More Than Shoes and Shopping”. This was a particularly satisfying workshop for me because I managed to create a Power Point presentation for it which included a different red shoe on every slide. Frivolous, I know. But if you can’t please yourself, who can you please?

Anyway, it was great, great people and excellent questions, and one of the things I was talking about was creating character arc, and I referred to my series of posts about character arc and put up my website address so people could check it out in more detail if they wanted.

In the back of the room, a hand went up. A gentleman politely inquired, “How’s the back of your neck?”

He’d instantly called up my blog on his iPhone and read about my hair-dying incident.

Doh! So much for my veneer of cool.

(Fortunately the vodka swab had already worked to get the worst of the giraffe-spots off. Thanks for the tip, Joan.)

Comments

1. But on the bright side, he might also have called up Amazon and put in an instant order for your books while you were talking.

2. He downloaded Marian Keyes’ Rachel’s Holiday immediately, because I’d been raving about it. I was very envious of that capacity. And he bought one of mine at the bookshop afterwards, probably to make up for making me blush! 🙂

3. That is funny. Just goes to show to be aware what you put on your blog.

4. Ahhh well it’s okay. It was only a matter of time before my cool professional-author illusion was shattered. 😉

5. Glad to be of service, Julie and happy birthday, by the way!

6. Hi, I’m the man with the iphone. I’m enjoying Rachel’s Holiday and looking forward to reading yours. I think I said that I only went to you session by confusing the room numbers but as soon as you started it sounded too good to miss. Thanks again for a great sesion. I’m curious about that happy birthday wish, my birthday was April 12, is yours the same?

7. Hey, Rod! Sorry for using you as blog fodder, but I did think it was fair enough after you made me blush! Seriously, it was really funny and I really am envious of your ebook purchase ability, and your gumption of following up links right away.

Thank you for visiting my blog!

I’m seriously chuffed that you wandered into my room by mistake and ended up staying. There is no better compliment (well except maybe for someone wandering in on purpose).

Happy birthday to you! Mine was the 13th. A kindred spirit, I can see. 🙂

8. You looked pretty damn cool to me, Julie. Great to meet you.

9. Thanks, Debi! Great to meet you too. I’m glad you enjoyed the weekend as much as I did.

10. […] When I get back, remind me to tell you about my Narrowly-Averted Hair Disaster. Or, alternatively titled, Why Fairy Liquid Is Not Shampoo. I would have blogged about it already, but I learned my lesson from the giraffe/vodka episode in York. […]