Archive for the ‘Nina Jones and the Temple of Gloom’ Category

Nov

25

2009

pespective

Filed under: crows, Nina Jones and the Temple of Gloom, The Bad Twin, writing

The absolutely gorgeous but also rather evil Anna Louise Lucia said to me today on the phone, “You know, one reason I love being friends with you is that I just get to say ‘I told you so’ so many times.”

If you’ve read my blog at all for the past eighteen months or so, I’ve had a little bit of, er, trouble writing my last two books. In that, I thought they were utterly crap, pretty much until I got 60% of the way through the first draft, and just slightly less crap for the remaining 40% or so. There were usually one or two scenes that I liked, but that was it. Otherwise, I SUCKED, I was AWFUL, I was GOING TO LOSE MY CAREER and BE MOCKED MIGHTILY BY REVIEWERS AND READERS, to say nothing of my agent and editor. I moped and complained and moped some more and was generally not pleasant to be with.

“Don’t worry,” my then-editor said. “If you’re having trouble it’s because you’re stretching yourself as a writer.” I nodded, but did I believe her?

Not a fart’s chance in hell.

Revising the books made me like them more. I could see the whole thing, I could begin to pull them together and shape them into something more like how I wanted them to be. But still, I wasn’t so certain.

Even when my agent and my editor loved Nina Jones and said it was their favourite of all my books so far, there was a bit of my brain that didn’t really believe them. That thought they were just being nice (never mind that they’d never minced words in the past). Humouring the insane author, whilst edging away towards the nearest exit.

You know what, though? I’m reading the proofs for Nina Jones and the Temple of Gloom. And after all that agonising, all that self-flagellation, all that moping and complaining, I LIKE IT. I actually like it quite a bit. I actually kind of love it. I’ve stayed up late to read more, even though I know what’s going to happen. I almost sort of feel that it’s nearly the book I wanted it to be from the start.

And then of course there’s my current book, The Bad Twin, which I (thoroughly sick of every word) delivered to my agent last week and which she said she wouldn’t get a chance to read properly until Friday. Thank God, I thought, seven days of reprieve before I have to face up to the massive revisions she’s sure to give me. She was the first and only person to have the entire draft; others have read little bits, but not the whole thing.

She rang me today, two days before Friday mind you, having read all 146,000 words in two sittings, and said she loves it. And then proceeded to give me a detailed and enthusiastic list about all the things she loves about it—things that, actually, now that she mentions it, I love too.

Is it perspective? Is it time? Is it the opinion of professionals whom I trust? Is it just that I’m really stupid?

I really don’t know. But I’m really, really relieved.

And drinking wine.


15 Comments

Oct

28

2009

Nina Jones and the Temple of Gloom cover!

Filed under: covers, Nina Jones and the Temple of Gloom

How gorgeous is that? Check out the bats!!

Nina Jones and the Temple of Gloom


16 Comments

Oct

14

2009

Nina Jones and the Temple of Gloom

Filed under: Nina Jones and the Temple of Gloom

I’ve got my blurb for my next Little Black Dress book, Nina Jones and the Temple of Gloom

All work and no play makes Nina a dull girl…

But when you’re PA to a celebrity chef who’s tastier than one of his delicious dishes you can’t help loving your job. What’s wrong with fancying the pants off your boss? Erm, everything if he’s married to someone else.

So when Nina meets sexy Spaniard Juan, she’s thrilled to escape to a new life abroad…until he does a runner with her hard-earned cash and she’s forced to move to ‘The Temple of Gloom’ – a gothic flat with some unusual inhabitants. Nina’s had enough of bloodsuckers, but is her mysterious neighbour Viktor really a vampire? Sometimes it’s hard to know who to trust…

Get your teeth into this racy romantic adventure that’s full of surprises!


8 Comments

Aug

18

2009

mad as a box of frogs

Filed under: about me, Nina Jones and the Temple of Gloom, Romancing the Blog

I’ve had an interesting afternoon so far. First, I re-read Nina Jones and the Temple of Gloom, to do the revisions and line edits. And I made myself cry, on the third-to-last page. My husband thinks this is proof positive that I’m mad as a box of frogs. “But you already know what happens!” he says.

Well, yes. But…

Anyway, after that I promptly climbed up on the roof of the shed to pick blackberries. I’m now stained purple and scratched red, but I have enough for a small crumble.

Meanwhile, I’m blogging at Romancing the Blog today about reading tastes and how they change.


5 Comments

Top ↑